Brought Home In the Spirit - 2 Kings 2:1-2, 6-14 (Pentecost 3C)


 

Where have you felt most at home? I gotta be honest, when I was switching churches from Covenant to here, I was nervous as anything. Not only was I coming to a whole community that I had never met, but ya'll expected me to lead in an area which I felt very unprepared for. Don't get me wrong, I had a good several months of culture and career change shock, but I'd like to think I handled it well. How do you know you're at a place that feels like home? As some of you know from the Eagles' song, it's a peaceful easy feeling. You can let your guard down after some time... it's amazing how long some people keep their guards up. Especially in church. I understand the idea that this is where you've always attended or your parents or grandparents laid the foundation. But you still need to feel at home, comfortable, because that helps in living an authentic life. 


This scene reminded me, if you crank up the dramatics past ten, of a scene from the Lord of the Rings, at the end of the first book, the fellowship had just broken up and the main character Frodo, who is carrying the Ring leaves the rest of his protectors behind. He wants to carry this "burden" if you will all by himself. He pushes off in a boat to cross the river, and soon behind him, his best friend Sam comes running out of the woods, into the water, despite the fact that he never learned how to swim. Frodo does save him, and once Sam is in the boat, he says, "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee. And I don't mean to." It's a heartbreaking scene when the heroes are splitting up, but Sam is such a part of Frodo's life that they can't exist without the other. 

And I feel like that's what is happening with Elijah and Elisha. Despite one being the mentor to the other, we need people like that who will stand by us when times get tough. When we don't know the direction we're going. Frodo is Sam's sense of home, and he doesn't want to find out what it's like to be away from home. 


But differently with Elijah, he's whisked away into the heavens on a chariot of fire with horses of fire. What a scene that may have been. Being taken home in the spirit - literally. How do you follow that up? Like - was Elisha just like... ok... let me uhhhh find out where I'm supposed to be. Was that an oasis back there a bit, I'm parched! 


What can Elisha do now that his mentor is gone? The same thing we all do. We try to keep their memories alive. I am blessed to have many people I consider mentors in my faith formation, none of which have passed on yet. I am blessed to have both of my parents yet, and their support is more than I can ask. I know that will not always be the case. We all know that there's no way we get out of this life alive. BUT - that's why it's important to make sure the people who matter the most to us know how much they are loved and appreciated. 


Who have you been empowered by? What kind of mentors did each of you have? What made them special? Was it a family member who helped you feel supported through a difficult time? Was it a random stranger who paid a kindness to you in a time of need?


But that also goes both ways - who do you feel called to empower? Who could use some encouragement and support? If the “author” in authority can mean to “breathe into or be a creative agent,” how might that change how we view those in authority? I think those in leadership after a couple of long years, we need to breathe some creativity into more than just our church. We have workplaces that seem to take up too much of our time, leaving us wanting more time with family and friends.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   


If we are to be brought home in the spirit, what does that really mean? How do you feel when you go to someone’s house for the first time, especially someone you don’t know very well? It’s a little awkward to start, until you get comfortable with the surroundings. How’s the hospitality? I was watching something, and the person talking was like, where has the hospitality gone? No one is more prepared for visitors than my grandmother! You know, she has the coffee cake that no one can touch unless you’re a guest? Or pulling out the good dishes when company comes by? Funny how she always seemed to have the coffeepot ready to go with some decaf. 

Have we forgotten about these hospitality way of life? As much as we would all be quick to say yes, who’s got the time to be tea ready at the drop of a hat? That sounds exhausting! On top of working full-time, doing housework, answering my children’s questions about everything under the sun, YES - I would love to visit with my neighbors, but can we simplify it a bit more? Can we set the bar a little lower? I know no one wants to see my clean laundry folded on my kitchen table, but can we be authentic enough to respect that our houses are lived in? 


Those days seem like a long time ago. But yet, despite what culture tells us, if hospitality that is a gift, let us continue to serve and offer our gifts as though we are offering them to God.


Elijah knew it was the end of his time. Elisha wanted to offer hospitality to Elijah and be with him until the end. Nothing was going to keep him away - like a grandson to his grandfather. Let us be hospitable to allow people in our lives when all they want to do is have a sense of home. None of us are perfect, but let’s welcome all into each of our messy worlds of grace. Let us follow the Holy Spirit as it leads us, from here and back, until the end of our days. 


Let us pray: 

We have each been fashioned for a unique purpose; each been given unique gifts; each been blessed with varying abilities. During times of turmoil and transition, we can choose to become stagnant, or we can choose to be transformed by God’s love. When we choose transformation, we choose to fully share in the vision of a community led by the Spirit—a community of love, gentleness, self control, joy, patience, peace, faithfulness, kindness, and generosity. When we follow Christ, we take up his mantle, moving forward together. May we all say, “I will follow you wherever you go.”


Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Satisfying Hunger: Unveiling Miracles - John 6:1-21 (Proper 12B)

Balance - February 2023 Newsletter

Break Forth - Isaiah 58:1-12 (Epiphany 4A)